Opération Enfant Soleil’s 2021 Gran Fondo
Involving communities in times of pandemic with the Fundky Platform
The 2021 Gran Fondo
Opération Enfant Soleil’s Gran Fondo is a major virtual cycling challenge.
Following the immense success of the first edition, which took place on April 10, 2021, Opération Enfant Soleil confirmed its challenge for a second year, in the winter of 2022. We look forward to seeing how big this challenge will get next year!
All participants ride on a virtual track from the Zwift platform, which is well known to cyclists who train indoors.
On the agenda of the 2021 edition:
- First stage: start at 8 am – 102 km – elevation gain 380 meters
- Second stage: start at 12 pm – 101 km – elevation gain 730 meters
- Third stage: start at 4 pm – 79.6 km – elevation gain 606 meters
Quite a challenge!
Due to health restrictions, Opération Enfant Soleil wanted to offer a unique event in a virtual format, and therefore offer the possibility for its donors to register and create their team online.
Their Needs & Goals
→ To raise donations online easily without manual management (e.g. automatically send registrations, donation confirmations and donation receipts)
→ Allow donors to make secure online donations
→ Have a custom campaign page personalized with the Gran Fondo event’s colors and the organization’s visual identity
→ Allow donors to easily register their team and/or their participation in the Gran Fondo online
The solution for a successful event
A campaign on Opération Enfant Soleil’s Fundky platform that allows teams and participants to register.
• This type of campaign not only allows each participant to have their own fundraising page, but each team also has their own unique page to collect donations. Each team page displays a list of all its participants.
• Participants could choose to sign up solo, as part of a team or create their own team.
• Involving third parties allows for a wider community to be reached and more money to be raised; as we know, people tend to give more to people they know than to a general cause.
Several factors played a role in the campaign’s success
• The campaign was easily created using the Fundky Platform. It only takes a few minutes to set up a customized page that can be shared immediately.
• Simple online registration and donation processes that helped the organization raise over 180% of their initial goal!
• An intuitive and easy-to-use platform for the campaign manager.
• Support from the Fundky team to help managers and donors when needed.
“[…] We raised over $180,000, and I really believe it was thanks to all these different participants, all these different teams and us communicating — that’s a lot of links going out there and a lot of asks for donations — so it was a great way for us to surpass our initial objective […] thanks to the Fundky application.”
– Andreas Lazanis, Partnership and Development Advisor at Opération Enfant Soleil
Over 180 000 $ raised in donations!
We are very proud to have worked with Opération Enfant Soleil for over 20 years now, from the first online donation form in the late 1980’s to their Fundky Platform today! The trust the foundation has placed in us over the years has allowed us to evolve with their needs and with the trends in online giving. Congratulations on another fantastic event!
– The Fundky Team
The 2021 Gran Fondo, it’s…
Raised in donations
About Opération Enfant Soleil
Well known in Quebec, Opération Enfant Soleil is a non-profit organization that raises funds to support the development of quality pediatrics for all children in Quebec.
The funds raised each year are distributed to the 4 major pediatric centers in Quebec (the Centre mère-enfant Soleil of the CHU de Québec-Université Laval, the CHU Sainte-Justine of Montreal, the Montreal Children’s Hospital of the MUHC and the CIUSSS de l’Estrie – CHU de Sherbrooke) as well as to regional organizations and hospitals.